Author Topic: Elysium  (Read 1917 times)

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
Elysium
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
As everyone can tell, I go to the movie a lot. My dad made me a lover of going to the movie and some of my best memories are with him at the movies. So, I go every chance I get if a movie interests me. I shouldn't have to say it, but there will be spoilers.

Anyway, Elysium. I thought it was a very well done movie. The previews only mildly interested me, but I thought, hey I love Sci-fi movies so I'll give it a shot. The general synopsis is that earth is pretty much one giant ghetto with little to no medical treatment and grossly over crowded. The wealthy decided they didn't want to live on the same planet as poor people so they built a giant space station called Elysium where they can heal any injury or disease within moments. The main character, Max, is exposed to lethal doses of radiation and has 5 days to live, but if he gets to Elysium, he can be healed instantly.

So, the plot is pretty straight forward. Lots of action and some very interesting death scenes (think explosion that blows off a guys face or sends limbs flying everywhere.) The most interesting part of the movie wasn't so much the story, but the character, Max. Max is a decent guy. He's a paroled con working in a factory. He could very well represent the average guy (minus the record). That's not what is interesting. What is interesting is that Max is selfish, not the sort of selfish that he would kill someone for the dollar in their pocket or to entertain himself. Max is selfish because he doesn't want to die and is willing to do whatever it takes to live, even if others have to suffer in the process. I think in a lot of ways, Max is you and me, because if you were given a written stone, you will die in 5 days and nothing on earth could stop that, unless you made it to this utopia in the sky. You could see it, but would be forever denied it because you were poor and born on earth. Max is you and me, because he wants to live and is willing to fight in order to do so, not because he's a bad person, but because he wants to live.

Over the course of the movie, which is about 2hours, you see a gradual shift in Max. He starts to re-evaluate things and begins to doubt his course, especially when he learns what he stole could save everyone on earth. This movie, provided it was done right, would make an amazing book because 2hours isn't really enough time to truly show a gradual evolution of character. But, the movie does a good job in showing some shift from selfish Max, to selfless Max.

Now, I'm not saying that this movie is the greatest thing to be released this summer. It would probably not appeal to everyone, but...to those who are interested in this sort of thing, it is a very good way to spend 2hours one afternoon. It's cliche and predictable in some sense, but that's not always a bad thing. The acting was wonderful, both from Jodie Foster and from Matt Damon. I enjoyed my time watching this movie. For something that looked kinda meh, I think its one of the best movies to come out this summer. You could even look deeper in the story to see real life, current day issues. Like how the US tends to ignore the poor and poverty stricken and how only a few elite ever get to experience paradise while everyone else has to claw and scratch for just the smallest crumb. Or...you could look at it as just a good movie and ignore the social implications of it. Whatever your movie watching mindset, it's definitely worth seeing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:58:23 PM by Daydreamer79 »

Get a few beers in Sasuke and he's the life of the party