Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 943 times)

Lytrigian

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
Howdy
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:10:13 AM »
Hey, all.

Well-p. This sucks. Not that I went through my faves all THAT often, but there was a lot of history there. I'd been a member of the site almost literally since day 1, when Snover opened it up in association with his y-hosting service. I knew about it because I followed a number of the artists he was hosting.

Some artists, if they want to re-upload all their old work to the new site, are going to have a LOT of work to do. I'll have some, but maybe not quite as much. I'd made minor revisions to most of my stories over the years (haven't finished a new one in ages, but editing is easier) and never got around to updating them on the site, partly because converting to a readable online format from a word processor is such a pain in the ass. Now? I guess I'll have to.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that the database wasn't regularly backed up? Is this not a service the web host performed? Or was their something weird about the directory structure? I seem to recall something said ages ago about content and database files being intermingled all over the place.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:15:06 AM by Lytrigian »

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »
I'm not a tech, so I've never seen the back end of the site, but the content and database files apparently were all over the place.  The coding that Snover put in place was ages old and he had his own methods, which our new techs were trying to sort out.  As you can imagine there are lines and lines and lines of coding they had to look through and from what I was told, some of it was repeated for some reason and when they tried to remove the duplications or fiddle too much with the old code, the site would freak out and stuff wouldn't work anymore.  The techs had told me it was a nightmare.

As for backups, we did have one, which we thought we'd be able to use, but it seems the hacker overwrote it or scrambled it and it was totally unrecoverable. :(

DaneFrame

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 11:07:34 PM »
Hey there!

It's nice to meet you, though I wish it were through better circumstances. Been a member myself since the Snover days too (around 10 years! OMG has it really been that long??) It's really beyond awful that a lot of people lost everything, hopefully artists will re-post some of their prior artwork, etc. Fortunately I saved backups of my work...I intend to re-post mine, as well as keep doing new things going forward.

If there's any silver lining in this mess, hopefully friends will use this forum to reconnect. People might make new friends through here too, ahead of the YG2.0 launch.

Take care,
~Dane

dyslexxicon

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Horrible Fassbender Stan
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
Another oldbie here, though you've got me beat. I think I joined maybe a few months or almost a year after y!'s inception, it's hard to remember at this point (and also with the site deaded). To really give a good guestimation of how long I've been around, back when Sheezyart existed and allowed adult content, I was familiar with a helluva lot of artists who went on to become mods and very notable members of y!gal once it got rolling. Just thinking about how bloody long ago that was makes me feel old as heck. Yikes.

I'm not a tech, so I've never seen the back end of the site, but the content and database files apparently were all over the place.  The coding that Snover put in place was ages old and he had his own methods, which our new techs were trying to sort out.  As you can imagine there are lines and lines and lines of coding they had to look through and from what I was told, some of it was repeated for some reason and when they tried to remove the duplications or fiddle too much with the old code, the site would freak out and stuff wouldn't work anymore.  The techs had told me it was a nightmare.

As for backups, we did have one, which we thought we'd be able to use, but it seems the hacker overwrote it or scrambled it and it was totally unrecoverable. :(

I think I heard too about y! having all sort of proprietary weirdness and an eldritch abomination in coding form that was giving the techs all kinds of grief. Being a technician (more oriented towards working w physical stuff; computers, printers, peripherals, etc), I know coming behind other tech's and the mysterious methods to their madness induces a strong desire to set fire to things. More power to the tech peeps for working hard to make sense of whatever roots Snover laid down.

Also, that hacker can eat a whole bag of musty dicks. Just a whole ton. Raw.
ME HAIR TO BIG FOR ME GOTDAMN HAT!!!

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 04:10:28 AM »
Another oldbie here, though you've got me beat. I think I joined maybe a few months or almost a year after y!'s inception, it's hard to remember at this point (and also with the site deaded). To really give a good guestimation of how long I've been around, back when Sheezyart existed and allowed adult content, I was familiar with a helluva lot of artists who went on to become mods and very notable members of y!gal once it got rolling. Just thinking about how bloody long ago that was makes me feel old as heck. Yikes.

I think I heard too about y! having all sort of proprietary weirdness and an eldritch abomination in coding form that was giving the techs all kinds of grief. Being a technician (more oriented towards working w physical stuff; computers, printers, peripherals, etc), I know coming behind other tech's and the mysterious methods to their madness induces a strong desire to set fire to things. More power to the tech peeps for working hard to make sense of whatever roots Snover laid down.

Also, that hacker can eat a whole bag of musty dicks. Just a whole ton. Raw.

That's what we're hoping too.  That people can keep connected, especially people who were doing commissions and only knew the other persons y-gallery name. 

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to wade through all the old code on y-g.  I really felt bad when the techs were telling me how much they felt like pulling out their hair over it. 

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 04:12:30 AM »
Hey there!

It's nice to meet you, though I wish it were through better circumstances. Been a member myself since the Snover days too (around 10 years! OMG has it really been that long??) It's really beyond awful that a lot of people lost everything, hopefully artists will re-post some of their prior artwork, etc. Fortunately I saved backups of my work...I intend to re-post mine, as well as keep doing new things going forward.

If there's any silver lining in this mess, hopefully friends will use this forum to reconnect. People might make new friends through here too, ahead of the YG2.0 launch.

Take care,
~Dane

I know, I feel so old. LOL  I was on the gallery very soon after it went online and been there ever since.  I look forward to seeing your work when we get yG2 up and running, but feel free to post some here too if you like. :D

Lytrigian

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, guys, and it's very nice to meet all of you too. Not gonna quote everyone because that would be messy, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, on the day I joined it was possible to go through all the submissions that had been added to that point in about 5 minutes. mdy (aka Massive Destruction) was one of my favorites back then; it's been a while since I've seen anything from her. FallenAngel (he added a 7 to it for some reason on y!G) was another, and he's done most of my actual commissions since. Super nice guy, and one of the best at doing sexy and funny in the same panel at the same time. And so many others. I'm sure we'll meet again.

What you've said about the file structure and code tallies with what I remember from a couple of years ago. I get the feeling Snover had very little time to work on it, and just kluged it together until it worked, without worrying too much about why. I'm a programmer myself, but somewhat burned out, and in any event I'm never in any mood for analytical shit after a day at work. So I very much appreciate the guys working on it now.

I remember Sheezyart myself. Never spent a lot of time there though, and I can't recall why now. And it's not just because all this makes me feel old...

Still kind of strange that the backup was kept online and apparently under the same security. It really should have been elsewhere, but I'm sure that's a lesson learned without me saying so.

I'll have to remember to make this forum a regular stop now! It's nice we have this way of keeping the community together.