Author Topic: A Suggestion  (Read 3964 times)

Ionopachys

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
A Suggestion
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:24:06 AM »
Would it be possible to quickly put up a simple page explaining the situation and pointing people here and to the tumblr?  Leaving http://www.y-gallery.net/ dead until the site can be fully restored will probably lead many users to assume the site is gone for good.   Membership has already been in decline.  This could be the death of the site if you don't work hard to get news out. 

MJEsperandieu

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
Re: A Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
I second that - I've already asked Lyiint whether the notice page that was in place early last week could be put back up. Aside from pointing users to the twitter and tumblr, it was also quite soothing with its defiant "y!Gallery will be back!" message.

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
Here it is guys:  https://y-gallery.org/  :)   I'll be updating the tumblr and twitter with this link as well, but I'm waiting until after we have our meeting tomorrow in case there's other news to share. 

rabidcupcake01

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Masturboyz Co-Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:49:40 AM »
Would it also be possible to put a notice up on http://www.y-gallery.net/ linking people to https://y-gallery.org/?
I write the Camp Smallwood and Masturboyz series with my fiancÚ.

MJEsperandieu

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »
The new notice page looks good! (There's a typo, though - it should read "its entire core", not "it's entire core". (And, I guess, technically "Heavy Maintenance" shouldn't be capitalized)).

And, yeah, it would be important that all of the various iterations of the site name redirect to it, since people might still have them in their bookmarks. The bookmark I've been using, for example, links to yaoi.y-gallery.net, and still gets the time-out error.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:29:49 AM by MJEsperandieu »

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »
Would it also be possible to put a notice up on http://www.y-gallery.net/ linking people to https://y-gallery.org/?
The new notice page looks good! (There's a typo, though - it should read "its entire core", not "it's entire core". (And, I guess, technically "Heavy Maintenance" shouldn't be capitalized)).

And, yeah, it would be important that all of the various iterations of the site name redirect to it, since people might still have them in their bookmarks. The bookmark I've been using, for example, links to yaoi.y-gallery.net, and still gets the time-out error.

There is no y-gallery.net now, so I can't post anything at that url.  I will be posting the new domain name on the tumblr and twitter too as well as here. 

MJEsperandieu

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
There is no y-gallery.net now, so I can't post anything at that url.  I will be posting the new domain name on the tumblr and twitter too as well as here.

Ah, I see. But would it be possible to have a temporary redirect from y-gallery.net->y-gallery.org set through the domain administration with the hosting company? I'm sorry to keep harping on regarding this issue, I'm just worried that a lot of users are confused right now and not finding their way to the announcements. ^_^;

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
Ah, I see. But would it be possible to have a temporary redirect from y-gallery.net->y-gallery.org set through the domain administration with the hosting company? I'm sorry to keep harping on regarding this issue, I'm just worried that a lot of users are confused right now and not finding their way to the announcements. ^_^;

As far as I understand it, there is nothing at y-gallery.net, so we can't redirect from there.  I think because Spiral cancelled the servers so we wouldn't have to keep paying for something we can't use, at least until we're ready to relaunch.  :(

MJEsperandieu

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
As far as I understand it, there is nothing at y-gallery.net, so we can't redirect from there.  I think because Spiral cancelled the servers so we wouldn't have to keep paying for something we can't use, at least until we're ready to relaunch.  :(

But you kept the domain name registered, I hope? Wait, instead of hoping, I checked...seems it's still registered until 2020, great. Cancelling the servers to save money makes a lot of sense, but how about getting a cheapo hosting package for the meantime - they're some starting at 0.99 per month, or so, and they'd still be enough to host the simple, single notice page (although not much more). Again, sorry for not letting go of the issue, I hope I'm not annoying you. ^_^;

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
But you kept the domain name registered, I hope? Wait, instead of hoping, I checked...seems it's still registered until 2020, great. Cancelling the servers to save money makes a lot of sense, but how about getting a cheapo hosting package for the meantime - they're some starting at 0.99 per month, or so, and they'd still be enough to host the simple, single notice page (although not much more). Again, sorry for not letting go of the issue, I hope I'm not annoying you. ^_^;

You're not being a bother at all.  Yes, the domain name is registered, but I'm afraid I'm lost on the technical end after that.  I'm not sure why our head tech put stuff on the .org domain.  There's probably some reason, but you'd have to ask him.  We're going to be talking in the meeting  about getting hosting packages so we can get something up, even if it's something basic we can improve on as we go. 

Truhania

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
    • Boxer & Rice - The Tales of Two Princes
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »
Yes I concur with the others. A fair share of y! members were inactive and there wasn't that much new artists joining. Since I commissioned some of y! artists for  my website and club there (the gohanxtrunks club) I can tell you that they didn't even knew Y! had a tumblr or that the Y!2.0 would be on .org instead of .net. They were still checking the .net url. I told them about the new url and I'm keeping them updated but since I'm not rich I never commissioned more than a handful of artists. Still I think all former Y! artists will assume that if Y! returns it'll be on the .net url.

I have a Y! button/link on my website which I'll update when Y!2.0 is released. Alas as you know lyiint my poor Boxer & Rice has never been really popular. So it probably won't help much. But it's all i can do.

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »
I have a Y! button/link on my website which I'll update when Y!2.0 is released. Alas as you know lyiint my poor Boxer & Rice has never been really popular. So it probably won't help much. But it's all i can do.

Thank you so much! Even if your site is small, putting a button up for us is a very kind thing for you to do.  <3  It's really appreciated.