Author Topic: Man Of Steel  (Read 1663 times)

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
Man Of Steel
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »
There have been mixed reviews about the recent Man of Steel movie. The biggest criticizing from critics has come from the huge amount of sponsors that paid for their product/business to be used in the movie to nearly the point of calling Superman a sellout. The movie earned around $160 million from corporate sponsors before it ever hit the theaters. Some of the more noticeable businesses are IHOP, Sears, 7-11, and The National Guard. Honestly, I was a little bothered when I heard this because I thought the movie was going to be just one big commercial with more focus on selling the items rather than actually focusing on the story-telling of the movie. Honestly, for having over 100 sponsors, I didn't notice but a couple so that fear was put to rest.

The movie itself has received some bad and decent reviews. I enjoyed my time in the movie. I wasn't bored. I was drawn into this new version of Superman. I knew that if I went into this movie comparing it to Christopher Reeve, I would only leave annoyed. I had to realize this was not a retelling of the same old Superman, but was instead a new and unique take on it. Lois Lane knew Clark Kent was Superman from the beginning, even before he had the name Superman. The basic elements were there, but they were tweaked enough to make the story a surprise for everyone who knows about Superman.

As for the actor who portrayed Clark Kent/Superman, Henry Cavill, he was okay. There were times when he was bare on his upper body and I just felt it looked a little touched up. Idk...it felt a little too perfect. hahah. I will admit that in the suit he looked pretty decent. Christopher Reeve is still my favorite, but this guy did a fair enough job. What really endeared him to me was during the fighting scenes when he would be getting his ass handed to him and would get this look on his face like he was so pissed off at himself for getting boned. For some reason, that really hit me in the right spot. I think without that little expression, I wouldn't have liked him nearly as much.

Overall, if you're going to the movie to see it, it's worth the money you pay. It might not break any ceilings in its portrayal of Superman, but considering this is the era of superhero movies, it's not a bad effort.

Get a few beers in Sasuke and he's the life of the party

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
Re: Man Of Steel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
I gotta say, I didn't really notice too much product placement either, but I found the movie a bit boring is spots and the 3D effects weren't as good as I thought they had the potential to be.   I did like the actor and the variations from the original story, but I would have been happier renting this over paying $13 to see it.

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
Re: Man Of Steel
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
I didn't see it in 3-d so I can't really say anything to the quality of the 3-D but in my humble opinion, most 3-D movies are a waste of money to see them in 3-D. Nothing I've seen has even partially measured up to Avatar, the movie that revitalized 3-D. Jurassic Park 3-D came close and I think that if it had been filmed purposefully in 3-D originally it would have been out of this world, but for a patch job 3-Dfying 15/20 yrs later, I was impressed. I try to avoid 3-D because I hate having to pay extra for the glasses and watching 3-D makes my eyes hurt. I wasn't bored at all. Any time the action slowed, some plot was introduced and it gave me a break since I'm not huge into action movies. I wouldn't call it a ground breaking movie in any sense, but for the $5.50 I paid for the matinee showing, it was worth my time. Not the greatest movie ever, but at least I didn't leave the theater feeling like I'd forever lost 2hours of my life.

Get a few beers in Sasuke and he's the life of the party