Author Topic: World War Z  (Read 3249 times)

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
World War Z
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:12:05 PM »
 ;) There be spoilers here ;)

Well, I went into this movie with low expectations. Zombie movies don't have the best track record and the fact that this was less horror and more action made it even less appealing, but I love Brad Pitt and I love zombies. I had a free afternoon and figured I would give it a shot. Now, I don't know whether it was the low expectations going into the movie or the movie itself, but I found myself enjoying it. I never grew bored watching it and the action wasn't distracting. It definitely wasn't your traditional zombie flick, so that might be a turn off for monster movie purists. The 'zombies' if you can call them that, are less zombies and more like viruses. The only purpose in biting a human is to transmit the disease/virus/whatever. Once bitten, they aren't eaten or anything, they simply turn into another 'zombie' in like 10 secs and start running after someone else to bite. When there is nothing to bite, they just stand around doing nothing. When they 'attack' in a crowd, they climb on top of each other so they look like ants.

The critique I have for the movie is that the end seemed to come really fast. It had an almost 'summary' ending. Brad Pitt's character did a dialogue as if he was writing a letter or a book.  The ending wasn't necessarily bad, but it probably could have been better. Also, there was this whole scene where his wife and kids are sent off the ship because they think he's dead and without him alive, there is no point in keeping around the wife and kids to take up bunk space when someone of value could be there. So, you expect them to have been in danger....nope. He just finds them safe and sound at the end in some relocation camp. IDK, I'd have liked some drama around them being sent away since they wasted several minutes of the movie sending the wife and kids off.

Overall, pretty okay movie. If you are expecting traditional zombies, this is NOT the movie for you. You need to have an open mind about zombies if you want to watch this. But if you think of it as less a zombie flick and more of a sci-fi/apocalyptic beginning sort of action movie, then it will probably be interesting for you to watch.

Oh, and another thing, Brad Pitt is looking old around the eyes. I fully blame having to deal with Angelina Jolie and her addiction to adopting kids like one would dogs as the the reason.

Get a few beers in Sasuke and he's the life of the party

Cai

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
Re: World War Z
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
My husband and I saw previews for this when we watched the new Star Trek movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it. It looks like it's a decent movie. I can't say zombie movies are usually my thing, but sometimes I find one that I enjoy.

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
Well, this isn't your typical zombie movie but it's a decent time. If you like action, it's pretty good. I could only very vaguely call this a zombie movie. Definitely not what I think of when I see zombies. The 'zombies' are more like viruses in this. They infect healthy hosts but after that's done, they don't bother the host. All they are about is infecting as many healthy hosts as they can haha. It's strange but I found the 2 hours interesting.

CinnamonRub

• Yaoi-Ling
    • View Profile
    • Cinnamon Rub
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
Yes, I found the ending quite quick too. The entire movie is too light but I guess that's because it's PG but undeniably I love the zombies here because they're agile and rather wild. I've had enough of slow zombies. Haha!

For me, overall, the movie is ok but it's not my personal favorite.

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:17:54 AM »
Yes, I found the ending quite quick too. The entire movie is too light but I guess that's because it's PG but undeniably I love the zombies here because they're agile and rather wild. I've had enough of slow zombies. Haha!

For me, overall, the movie is ok but it's not my personal favorite.

Oh yeah, definitely not my favorite as far as zombie movies or just movies in general. I probably won't buy the movie but I didn't leave the theater thinking that I had just lost 2hours of my life. I was entertained and so that's all i can ask for.

lyiint

• Y!Gallery Staff
  • Yaoi-Mad
    • View Profile
    • lyiint on Y!gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »
I gotta say, I really enjoyed this version of the zombies.  It was a nice departure from the ones that shuffle along moaning.  They reminded me of locusts, which was kind of cool.  I probably won't buy it either, but I also didn't feel it was a waste of money and I'd recommend it. 

Daydreamer79

• Yaoi-Ling
  • Romantic at Heart
    • View Profile
    • Daydreamer79@ygallery
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:35 AM »
I gotta say, I really enjoyed this version of the zombies.  It was a nice departure from the ones that shuffle along moaning.  They reminded me of locusts, which was kind of cool.  I probably won't buy it either, but I also didn't feel it was a waste of money and I'd recommend it.

Haha yeah, I thought of ants when I watched them. You know how ants will pile on top of each other to reach something. It was kinda disturbing but still interesting. I agree. I didn't feel like my money was wasted at all. If I'm entertained for the duration of a flick, I think the film makers did their job. It didn't make me want to go read the book or anything like the first HP movie did, but I still enjoyed myself immensely.